Corticosteroid/Cortisone injections (steroids)
Corticosteroid / Cortisone injections (steroids) now available at Market Street Clinic. If you are suffering from persistent heel, ankle or nerve pain that hasn’t responded to conservative care, then a steroid injection may be applicable.
Corticosteroid / Cortisone injections (steroids) are drugs to treat pain, inflammation, certain types of arthritis and many other medical problems. They can be used in injectable form and are helpful in treating certain foot problems. If you have tried other conservative treatments with no success then it may be time to consider a steroid injection.
Cortisone injections in your foot or ankle are a temporary solution. The medicine injected eventually wears off, although it may last anywhere between six weeks and four months and in some cases improvements can last years. In the meantime, you can live pain-free while taking steps to resolve your condition with follow-on treatments.
Cortisone injections provide fast, effective pain relief. Results vary with individuals but most people report improvement of their symptoms within 24 to 48 hours. In some cases it can take a few days before any change is noticed.*
Types of foot Injuries that can be treated with steroid injections in the foot and ankle include :-
- Ankle osteoarthritis, a common age-related condition
- Rheumatoid arthritis, an immune system disorder that can affect you at any age
- Achilles tendinopathy, a common sports-related injury
- Osteoarthritis in your ankle, a condition often caused by wear-and-tear
- Posterior tibial tendonitis, which runners may experience
- Plantar fasciitis, heel spurs on the bottom of your feet
- Gout, a form of arthritis
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome, another common sports-related condition
- Tendonitis, from overuse or injury
- Bursitis, an inflammatory condition
- Morton’s Neuroma
*There are a small proportion of patients who feel little or no benefit following a cortisone injection in the foot.